People (1)

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Since the start of summer, I've had a fairly busy time settling in my new townhouse in Boulder. Since then I've moved in tons of stuff, threw a housewarming party that resulted in dealing with the police, school, work, and soon volunteering in the ICU. That on top of all other family and personal matters, I felt the rush of blood to my head every once in a while but... it's settling down and I am managing just fine.

One thing that I kept thinking about though, is people. It's a topic that I know I will never stop thinking about. There are billions of people on this planet, and you will never get to know all of them. But between people and people, there seems to be so much difference, you could be born into a family of famous Hollywood celebrities, have your name printed in magazines and newspapers, enjoy all the luxuries and attention in the world, literally. Or you could be born in a dumpster by an irresponsible teenage mother, your birth is only seen as a burden, no one gives a shit about you. Or worse, born in a place like North Korea, if you die tomorrow, no one will even know you ever existed. At least in America, if you really want to, against whatever odds, you have a chance of achieving everything you dreamed of, as long as you have the skills and attributes that others are looking for. In various other places in the world, your existence is as real as someone's dream.

This is not to say that America is perfect, there're still many issues to fix, but that's only expected. I just wish people would take things more into perspective and understand there is so much violence and death in this world, you don't need to get aggressive about every tiny little imperfections you see at home. Be at peace, be happy everyday for what you have and be the best that you can be as a person. If you would only look at yourself in the mirror, without your fancy clothes, accessories, expensive hair treatments, and looks, are you a lovable person? Are you a decent human being that can contribute positively to our society? If you find any trace of hate, bitterness, or anger in you, I hope that you can find peace and let things go. Whatever is bothering you is only doing so because you are letting it affect you that way.

And to end, I will leave with a quote from the Curious Case of Benjamin Button, it is one of my favorite quotes, if you haven't seen the movie, this narration, I think, the highlight of the movie. "For what it's worth: it's never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you're proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

3 comments:

  • Unknown says:
    June 12, 2009 at 1:26 AM

    Mmm, very thought-provoking. I really liked this sentence: "In various other places in the world, your existence is as real as someone's dream." It made me tingle!

    And, wow, police. What a housewarming present...

  • Anonymous says:
    June 12, 2009 at 10:33 AM

    One of my favorite blogs to date. I love how you're so straightforward, "no one gives a shit about you". It sounds harsh, but its so true.

    And that quote! Love it, love it, love it. Inspirational :)

    Inside, we're both hippies.

  • Red Roc says:
    June 12, 2009 at 5:42 PM

    yea but the cop was extra nice and just gave us a warning.

    Let's go live in the 70s... We'd totally fit in. (except I would miss the internet...)