Hedgehog's Dilemma

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Time flies by so fast these days. It's almost October, and I feel like school had just started last week. In a month, I would have been in the United States for 11 years. Can't say how I feel about that, because it seems like my life in China was a whole lifetime ago, and I have lived here the whole time. Separate lives, separate stories.

For the greater part of my life here in the States, I have been playing catch up to the rest of the population. I feel content in my ability to assimilate. Still, at times, I will get hit with an unfamiliar subject that leaves me dumbfounded. Perhaps I like to experiment too much, I know of a lot of different types of people and their habits, but never so in depth that I assume that identity. Never have I identified with any cliche group in high school, I'm not a jock, not a prep, not even a nerd (I'm not that book smart). I detest the labeling system for many reasons, mainly because I don't like anything that restricts me to do certain things. I want to be able to do all the things I want, listen to all types of music, learn about different subjects, play hard when I can, and study hard when I should. I am the totipotent cell that never accepted the various chemical gradients telling me what I should become.

But maybe it's time that I choose an identity? I don't know. It is great having my freedom of being everything at once, but I find that it scares people a bit. They don't know how to approach me because they can't tell what kind of person I am. I am impossible to start a conversation with if you don't know me, because you can't tell what I am interested in. Those of you who know me know that I can talk about almost everything, except conversations that involve how to properly fist pump. But to most people, I don't fall under any preset mold of their vision of me, so they don't approach me as easily. What should I do? Should I find an identity close to me and focus on that aspect? Or should I keep on sampling every area of interest known to man?

1 comments:

  • Unknown says:
    November 22, 2010 at 12:50 AM

    You are you, no matter how many cultural identities you explore, or what facets of yourself you open up to others. As long as you yourself are confident of and happy with who you are, then people will get to know you more fully over time, no matter which facet of you they got to know first. Why box yourself into a stereotype in order that people can have an easier time making a snap judgment on who you are? I say do whatever it is that makes you the happiest, and true friends will join you along for the ride.