Can I Be A Hypothalamus Neuron?

Thursday, July 1, 2010

I've always known that there are a lot of different kinds of people in the world. But I don't think I knew what that really meant until recently. Being captive in a sheltered environment with my parents and my friends has narrowed my point of view on the paths that I could have taken and the different kinds of choice I could consider. My logic has consolidated to the preset path that my experiences had laid down. To me, when the elaborate network of nerve fibers transfer lighting in order to recall memories and to decide the explanation for events that occurred, the completion of such a thought process is logical, flawless, and undeniably satisfying.

Nevertheless, no other person in the this world thinks exactly like me, but like me, they follow their paths of thinking to resolve the situation at hand, their logic seemingly flawless to themselves. So then, what is the ultimate truth? What is the right way? What is the purpose for each of us? Those questions have lingered on since the dawn of man, and I am not satisfied with any of the answers they have provided so far, because I know that I am not like any other human being in the world, and therefore, nothing can force me to live the way that another person did. Every meal I eat is different than yours, every step I take is different from yours, and every air molecule I breath is different than yours. I am fundamentally different than you in every way possible, and that is perhaps the greatest connection that we have together as a species. Our uniqueness complete each other, we are good and bad at different things, and we can either complete each other or destroy each other. This is demonstrated throughout human history. Good things never last, but good deeds always come out of tragedies. No good without evil, no evil without good.

To my friends out there, even though our experiences have been different, it is our ability to connect with each other that brings us together. There is no relationship without connection, and like an infant neuron of the brain, it must fire together with the connections that it established with other neurons in order to feed and strengthen the existing connections. Without strengthening these connections, they wither away and degrade. Like people, no matter how strong of an initial connection, you must always feed the connection in order for that relationship to survive. The stronger your connection is, the more hardship it can endure, and last until the day you die.

These connections are like a web, if every human being is a neuron (or a glial cell), then are we all just an ever evolving brain?

0 comments: